Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Did You Know?

Peking Ape Man Ruins is one of the most world famous palaeohuman ruins which is located on Longgu Mountain of Zhoukoudian in China. This cave was first excavated in 1921 and has since been the focus of being the historic site of the Ape Cave Man. It also contains the richest materials among the contemporary palaeohuman ruins. In 1961, the Ruins was approved by State Council as one of the first lot of sites under major historical and cultural site protection. With such restrictions scientists have limited access to the cave.

So how do scientists document data without disturbing the preservation of the cave? Unlike the first excavation, experts now have access to 3D technology which produces 3D images of the entire cave layout. The FARO Laser Scanner Photon uses laser technology to create a virtual environment scan of the cave. Scientists then analyze the data and compare changes in the geological formations without disturbing the integrity of the inner cave. 3D scanning is once again improving the way research can be documented and analyzed while have little to no impact on the natural surroundings.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm it appears like your site ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to everything. Do you have any tips and hints for beginner blog writers? I'd definitely appreciate it.
    CNC Machining edmonton

    ReplyDelete

Share your success story or thoughts!